Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Editorial in Times


I am still really upset the HIPPY program has been cut..grr Pawtucket School system. I called to have Hailey put on the list for PRE K and got a massive attitude...I just want her to get the best start possible. I had no idea my editorial was published on Friday, thankfully Anabella brought over a copy for me. Here it is if you did not get the chance to see it.

Over the past school year my daughter has taken part in the Home Instruction for Parents of Preschool Youngsters (HIPPY) program in Pawtucket. The HIPPY program allows parents to be involved in educating their three, four and five year old children while preparing them for further schooling. Parents are provided with the HIPPY model packets and supplies necessary for instruction. They work one on one with a home visitor who comes weekly to the student’s home. This program has helped my daughter immensely and I am distraught at the thought she will not reach her HIPPY graduation at age five due to the program being cut.

After learning the HIPPY program was being cut from Pawtucket schools, I looked to my three year old daughter with heaviness in my heart knowing an amazing opportunity was being taken from her.

As a parent I strive to take part in helping my daughter achieve an education. Being involved brings us together and allows me to work one on one in preparing her for kindergarten. I would not have been so successful had it not been for the HIPPY program. Many children who do not attend traditional pre-school are often less prepared then those who have. This program allows parents to help educate their children and get them on track to being prepared for school. Without this program, our young pre-school age children will be missing out and the parents will lose the guidance needed to prepare their children for their academic journey. By this program being cut, we are targeting our most vulnerable children who deserve the right to be prepared for school. We often hear that “our children are our future” and with the HIPPY program I was confident my daughter would have the best start to embarking on hers.

No comments:

Post a Comment